She is a human rights lawyer and policy maker currently serving as a Board Member of the Refugee Appeal Board of the Immigration & Refugee Board of Canada.
Ms. Tremblay specializes in the intersectionality of law and social issues such as gender-based violence and refugee law, and national security and the protection of individual rights. As a policy maker she has focussed on the protection of women and children. Her most recent achievements include leading the creation of Canada’s Gender-based Violence Knowledge Center and the co-development of the First Nations and Inuit and Métis Children, Youth and Families Act.
She spent 17 years in the Canadian Forces as a military lawyer, specializing in international humanitarian and human rights law. She deployed twice to Afghanistan, serving at both ends of the spectrum of conflict: the first time supporting rebuilding efforts, including the setting up of rule of law projects; and, the second time providing legal support to the Special Forces.
She was honoured with a commendation from the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission for negotiating an arrangement between Canada and Afghanistan for the monitoring of transferred detainees. She was further honoured with a commendation from the Afghan Ministry of the Interior for her contributions to Justice sector reform in Afghanistan.
Ms. Tremblay represented Canada at the United Nations as a military expert and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal by the Governor General in recognition of her outstanding contribution and guidance to the Office of the Special Coordinator on Improving United Nations Response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.
Ms. Tremblay holds an LLM from the Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland. She is an active community volunteer in groups supporting women, refugees, and the homeless. In her free time, she is a fitness instructor at the YMCA.
CAREER AND EXPERIENCE
I. Adjudication Board Member, Refugee Appel Division, Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada-June 2019 – Present
Responsible for considering appeals against decisions of the Refugee Protection Division to allow or reject claims for refugee protection.
II. Policy Director, Indigenous Child and Family Services Reform, Indigenous Services Canada-Dec 2018-July 2019 Responsible for the co-development, along with First Nations, Inuit and Métis, of a Bill to reform Indigenous child and family services.
Director, Gender-Based Violence Knowledge Center-Status of Women Canada-Feb 2018- Dec 2018
Responsible for the policy leadership of Canada’s Gender-Based Violence (GBV) Strategy. This included the coordination of action and policy support to other federal departments, and stakeholders and the of Canada’s GVB Knowledge Center.
III. Legal Director, Military Justice Strategic Policy, Office of the Judge Advocate General- August 2015 – February 2018
Responsible for planning and implementing change within the military justice system. Responsible the codification of the Victims’ Bill of Rights in the military justice system.
Military Expert, Office of the Special Coordinator on Improving United Nations Response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, secondment - May 2016 – October 2016
Acted as a subject matter expert, contributing to the organization, coordination and unification of UN system-wide measures for prevention and response to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. Built and led several working groups to unify and streamline the training provided to UN personnel, the reporting of sexual misconduct and the support provided to survivors or gender-based violence.
Director and Senior Legal Advisor, Canadian Joint Operations Command- July 2014- July 2015
Responsible for providing strategic legal advice with respect to all domestic and international operations, on matters such as targeting, use of force, detention, and the armed conflict in Iraq and Syria.
Senior Counsel and Privy Council Officer, Privy Council Office, secondment- July 2012 – July 2014
Provided legal advice and counsel to the Prime Minister of Canada on a broad range of defence, national security and intelligence matters. Responsible for the coordination of federal legal advice on national security and defense matters.
Legal Advisor, Directorate of International and Operational Law- September 2011 – July 2012
Provided legal advice in the areas of international law, including by negotiating and interpreting international humanitarian and human rights law instruments.
Participated in the capacity building and diffusion of international humanitarian law and human rights law in Latin America including by presenting on the protection of human rights during armed conflicts.
Deployed Legal Advisor, Canadian Special Forces, Afghanistan– November 2009 – May 2010
Provided legal advice in operational and international law on matters such as targeting, use of force, detention, and counter-narcotic operations in Afghanistan.
Special Assistant to the Judge Advocate - October 2008 to November 2009
Responsible for coordinating sensitive legal matters involving the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces.
Legal Advisor, Canada Command - July to October 2008
Provided legal advice on domestic operations and assistance to law enforcement. Areas of advice included operational law, international law, intelligence law and
Deployed Legal Advisor, Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team, ISAF-August 2006 – February 2007
Liaised with other government departments, NGOs and the Afghan authorities on human rights issues. Initiated and negotiated an arrangement with the Afghan
Independent Human Rights Commission to visit Canadian-transferred detainees. Designed and led assistance programs to improve the justice system in the Province of Kandahar.
Deputy Judge Advocate General/Pacific Region - 2004 to 2008
Legal advisor to the Canadian Navy and Air Force units serving in the Pacific region of Canada. Provided legal advice on matters such as Maritime Interdiction
Operations, piracy, fisheries enforcement and counter-narcotic operations.
Legal Advisor, Office of Canadian Forces Legal Advisor, Department of Justice - May 2001 to June 2004
Provided legal advice and developed policy on non-operational issues and matter related to members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Associate Lawyer, Law Firm of Stewart Istvanffy, Montréal -1998 to 2001
Private practice focussing on legal aid and pro bono refugee and human rights cases. Involved frequently with NGOs and various groups defending refugees’ rights in Canada and abroad.
• Board Member, Maison de l’Amitié, a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of women and their children who are experiencing violence (2019
• Board Member, Centre d’aide et de lutte contre les agressions à caractère sexuel francophone (CALACS) d'Ottawa (Feb 2020 to present)
• Volunteer and Sponsor, Blended Visa Office-Referred Program for refugees (2018 to 2020)
• Volunteer & fitness instructor, YMCA (2017 to present)
• Volunteer, Out of the Cold Program supporting homeless (2014 to 2019)
• President, Canadian National Group of the ISMLLW (2019 to present)
• Secretary, Canadian National Group of the ISMLLW (2013 to 2019)
• Board Member, International Society for Military Law and the Law of War (ISMLLW) (2015 to present)
• Lecturer and panelist, for International Humanitarian Law, Human Rights Law, Immigration and gender-based violence (2010-Present)
• Volunteer, National Defence Workplace Charity Campaign. I was involved with the Campaign throughout my career, from canvasser to team leader (2001 to 2018)
• Organizer, Memorial Fundraiser, Orleans Legion, 2012
• Organizer, first Judge Advocate Memorial, 2012
• Board Member, Maison Juan Moreno, NGO dedicated to the protection of women refugees and their children (1998 to 2001)
• Board Member, Comité pour la protection des travailleurs haïtiens en République Dominicaine. (1993 to 2001)
• Volunteer, Instituto Brasileiro de Analises Sociais e Economicas (1993 to 1994)
V. Professional Accreditation/Awards
• Meritorious Service Medal by the Governor General for the development of world-class tools to address and prevent sexual misconduct by members of United Nations forces (2018)
• Award from the Deputy Minister of the Department of Justice for excellence in providing legal advice (2015)
• Commendation from the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) for commitment to Human Rights protection, in particular for initiating and negotiating an arrangement between the Canadian Forces and the AIHRC to visit transferred detainees (2007)
• Commendation from the Afghan Ministry of the Interior for efforts in assisting rebuilding the Afghan justice system in Kandahar (2007)
• Member of the Barreau du Québec since 1998
Telfer Public Sector Leaders Program, (2019), University of Ottawa
Master of Law (LLM), with mention (2011), Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights,Geneva
Barreau du Québec (1997), Montréal Centre
Bachelor of Law (LLB) (1996), Université de Montréal